Featured News
now browsing by category
The trial of the former Attorney-General of the Federation in Nigeria, Mr. Mohammed Adoke has been adjourned till August 13.

Mr. Adoke’s trial was adjourned due to the failure of the prosecutor to serve the defendants with the proof of evidence and statement of the witness.
During the last sitting, the defendants pleaded not guilty to a 14-count charge filed against them bordering on money laundering.
According to Channels TV, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had in June filed an additional seven charges against the former AGF over money laundering allegations involving about N400 million.
Mr Adoke’s trial was expected to begin last week but it was adjourned due to the changed charges.
The first charge contained seven counts, with six of them relating to Mr. Adoke.
At the going back trial, the prosecutor, Bala Sanga, disclosed to the court an amended charge he filed on July 29 which was served on all the defendants.
The trial judge, Justice Ekwo who frowned at the late filing of the amended charge adjourned the trial on the ground that he is yet to sight the amended charges.
In the former seven counts, the EFCC alleged that the defendants committed the money laundering offences involving over N400 million in Abuja, in September 2013.
Channels TV said, in the counts relating to Mr Adoke, he was accused of among others, receiving the dollar equivalent of N300 million from Abubakar, paying the dollar equivalent of N367,318,800 to one Usman Mohammed Bello, and allegedly using the sum of N300 million, which was alleged to be part of the proceeds of unlawful activities, all in violations of various provisions of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2011.
The former AGF was granted bail by the Federal High Court in Abuja on February 10, 2020, in the sum of N50m with one surety in like sum.
The case has been adjourned till August 13, 2020.
Source___Channels TV
Employment in the UK drastically fell by the largest amount in over a decade between April and June, according to BBC.

BBC said the number of people in work decreased by 220,000 on the quarter, according to what they get from the National Statistics.
This was the largest quarterly decrease since May to July 2009, the depths of the financial crisis.
The UK economy has been battered by the coronavirus pandemic, but unemployment has not surged as much as feared because large numbers of firms have furloughed staff.
However, analysts said unemployment was set to worsen in coming months as the scheme wound down, warning of a looming “cliff-edge” and a “lull before the storm”.
The youngest workers, oldest workers and those in manual occupations were the worst hit during the pandemic, the ONS added.
The UK unemployment rate was estimated at 3.9%, largely unchanged on the year and the past quarter, as millions remained “on the government-backed furlough scheme.”
Trump rushes out of the news conference after a shot

US President Donald Trump was rushed out of a news conference after Secret Service agents shot and wounded a man who is alleged to be armed outside the White House.
According to BBC, the Secret Service said the occurrence took place one block from the compound, when an officer fired on the suspect who had run “aggressively” towards him.
An agent then walked on stage as Mr Trump was speaking and led him away.
The president returned minutes later to say the situation was taken cared of.
The US Secret Service said the incident happened on Monday on the corner of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Ave – outside the White House perimeter.
The Secret Service did not say whether the man was armed. It added that “both the officer and the suspect were then taken to hospital”, and that “at no time during this incident was the White House complex breached”.
When the president returned nine minutes later, he said: “Law enforcement shot someone, it seems to be the suspect.”
He said he did not know if the person harboured any ill intentions towards him.
“It might not have had anything to do with me,” Trump clearly stated.
Source___BBC
Tell Emerson “Coconut Head” that:

1. President Bio launched and supported the operationalization of Sierra Leone’s first Sexual Offences Model Court (Manifesto commitment relating to Rule of Law)
2. The Government of President Bio has repealed the Criminal and Seditious Libel Laws contained in Part 5 of the Public Order Act of 1965 ( *Manifesto Commitment relating to Press Freedom* .)
3. Introduction of Free quality Education (Manifesto commitment delivered).
4. Recruitment of 2,500 health care workers
5. Commissoned 48 hospitals across the country
6. Increased Salaries of Teachers by 30%
7. Recruited 300 females in the army, first ever in the history of Sierra Leone
8. Increase of pension from le15,000 to le250,000
9. Increased salaries of Government workers by 15%
10. Approved le 18.3 billion to Freetown city council to transform Freetown
11. Commissoned the construction of two universities: one in Bonthe and the other in Kono.
12. Offered scholarship to all students offering Mathematics, Agriculture, Geography, Biology and Engineering
13. Introduced and sustain National cleaning Day on the first Saturday of every month till the outbreak of Covid 19.
14. Approved solar Light to be installed in all District
15. Renovated Sierra Leone parliament to a modern Level
16. Commissoned of Juba Atlantic Bridge
17. Revive and support National Union of Students ( NUSS)
18. Support the rehabilitation of all Government Boarding Home schools
19. Support a drone corridor in Njala,the first ever in the sub Region
20. Retrieve le 21 billion Leones from corrupt politician
21. Commissoned 16 District offices of the Teachers Commission
22. Reversing of 6-3-4-4 system of Education to 6-3-3-4
23 Approved 106 schools across the country
24. payment of Debts left by the past Government
25. Reviewed and amended the Anti Corruption Act
26. Controlling of Government Deficit Borrowing
27. Commissoned the construction of two universities: One in Kono and the other in Bonthe
28. Launching of first Africa Block chain and Decentralized Digital platform under NCRA
29. Commissoned the construction of National Diagnostic and Radiotherapy Cancer Treatment center
30. Launching of Social safety Project and provided cash transfers through NacSA.
31. Renovation of Teko Centre Vetinary Laboratory
32. Introduction of Free University for students pursuing science and Technology courses as well as medical disclipines
33. Increased Revenue in the Fisheries and Marine Resources to an unprecedented 100.5 Billion Disclipines
34. Rehabilitation of five Electricity Sub stations in western Area
35. Construction of 406 Hand Dug wells,125 boreholes,22 rain water harvesting systems, 301 Public sanitation Facilities,200 Rain gauging stations and 20 ground water monitoring stations across 6 Districts ( Koinadugou, Falaba,Kono,Kambia, Pujehun and Bonthe
36. Launching of USD20 million in establishing a flower mill with a capacity of 2500 meter tonnes a day
37. Construction of Car wash centers, youth farms,fisheries project and youth service schemes
38. Reconstruction of state of art Myonhaung officers Mess that includes 104 bed rooms single officers complex
39. Establishment of 190 chiefdom and 16 District Youth Council Nationwide
40. Fighting Corruption and illicit Financial flows
41. Introduction of Free University Education for three Childrens of every school Teacher with at least Ten Years Teaching experience
42. Commissoned the construction of Kenema Tongo and Koidu Road
43. Connection of Internet Connectivity to 500 schools, colleges and 15 Public Hospitals
44. Commissoned the construction of a shopping mall and a Bus Terminal at Lumely
COVID-19: Churches Reopen In Lagos State of Nigeria

According to Channels TV, Churches in Lagos have re-opened partially across the state today, after being locked down for several months in the wake of COVID-19 escalation.
Channels TV said this was disclosed by governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on august the 1st with the provision that worship centers can only fill up 50 per cent of their capacity.
The state government last Thursday also make known several safety precautions and guidelines numbering 46 that must be adhered to during services at places of worship in the first phase.
In a similar vein, the Federal Ministry of Health has yen for places of worship to ensure that their members worship in well-ventilated spaces.
According to a Twitter post by the Health Ministry, all worshipers are enjoined to continue their worship safely by maintaining a distance of 2 metres from others.
Gunmen kills eight French aid workers in Niger

Gunmen in Niger have killed eight group of aid workers, their local guide and driver, officials say.
According to BBC, the gunmen arrived on motorcycles and opened fire, the governor of Tillabéri region, Tidjani Ibrahim, told the French news agency AFP.
They were in the Koure region, which is an epicentre to the tourists as they want to see herds of giraffe in West Africa.
BBC said, the French presidency confirmed the deaths of the French citizens.
The French nationals worked for an international aid group, Niger’s defence minister Issoufou Katambé told Reuters news agency. Earlier, officials had described them as tourists.
ACTED, a French humanitarian NGO, confirmed its staff members were involved in the occurrence in Niger.
President Emmanuel Macron spoke on the phone with his Niger counterpart Mahamadou Issoufou on Sunday, a statement said, without giving further details.
In photos seen by the BBC, the victims’ bodies were found lying on a dirt road by the side of a 4×4 vehicle.
Beirut explosion death toll rises to 200 as protests continue

BBC said, more than 200 people are known to have been killed by Tuesday’s Beirut heartbreaking explosion in the Lebanese capital.
Governor Marwan Abboud said dozens were still not found, many of them foreign are workers.
The army has as of now called off the rescue phase of its search operation at the port, the focal point of the explosion.
According to BBC, yesterday becomes the second night of violence in the city, as police clashed with the angry protesters over the government’s response to the disaster.
The stepping down of a cabinet minister and several MPs has failed to calm the fury.
LIVES OF ALBINOS IN THE GAMBIA

Albinism is known to be an hereditary gene that causes a lack of pigmentation in the skin and the hair and it
comes with a number of associated health problems including poor vision, functional blindness and high skin sensitivity to the sun which can cause cancer.
Abdul-Rahim King is presently the chairperson of the albinism society of The Gambia, which
is an NGO working to build opportunities and access to education, raising awareness and also working to provide basic needs like sunscreens and sunglasses for people with albinism.
Graduating from a private school and having an educator father couldn’t save King from the stereotypes. He discloses of his teacher sending him to the back of the classroom where he struggled to see the black board.
“That’s what happens in most part of the country. A lot of kids with Albinism are sent to the back of the classroom because of stereotypes and the teachers do not understand that we actually need to sit in front so we can see properly and get proper notes.
There were times I had to go to friends later on and caught up on notes because I could not see the notes on the
board”.
Apart from the seating arrangement, Abdul-Rahim was also call “puna” a local name used to refer to albinos. Besides not liking the name, his thought was that “kids will always be kids”
and that’s why they use the word to refer to him.
What also bothered Abdul-Rahim was that people will spit in their shirts when they passed
him as a child so that their kids will not have albinism.
Though Albinos in the Gambia might not face some discriminatory threats from society
compared to those in South Africa and other part of the world. But there is still a long way to go in supporting them and seeing them as a normal human being.
Abdul-Rahim is not alone in the fight for the right of Albinos, interviews with other people shows a great concern.
Isatou Jaiteh, a student at University of the Gambia said, Albinos in the Gambia feel isolated due to the discrimination against them and the sunlight is highly affecting their skin.
She urges people to not be afraid to get in contact with albinos as they are human beings like all
of us.
Clare Demba yens the government to come to the aids of the people with Albinism in helping
them access higher education in achieving their desired goals.
Sheikh Tijan Secka University student suggested the Government to build schools for the Albinos with good air conditioner to help them learn comfortable and pursuit their dreams.
By Amie T. Camara
THE PALACE AND THE KOLA NUTS

By Comr Ezomon Ak
The Kola nut is a produce of the Kola tree and we have it in abundance in the Benin Kingdom.
Today i want to enlighten you on why the Kola nut is recognized almost everywhere in Africa most especially in the Benin Kingdom as something you cannot do without.
Before we begin, It is worthy of note that, the kola nut is as old as the Palace itself because it is one of the item listed in Palace Conflict Resolution between individuals or communities and it is also one of the item chosen for the king to make a decree or proclamations in the olden days.
Kola nut is always shared in the Palace for some great reasons. I may not be able to list all for now but I believe if there is any need for an update on this article, I will list more.
On one side, It is presented by the visitor to the great throne as a SYMBOL OF RESPECT and when blessed and chewed together, it stands for TRUST in any relationship. On the other hand, the kola nut is used in the palace to INITIATE A RELATIONSHIP and then to appease the gods of the FOREFATHERS who is still believed to be alive in Spirit within the Palace.
Kola nut also was distributed in the Palace to know those who WITNESSED AN EVENT.
Kola nut is also used till date as a form of BLESSING PROCLAMATION to those presenting it. In fact, it is an abominable act for you to see the Oba without the gift or presentation of Kola nut for prayers. And in those days , there is always a little part of the Kola nut that is dropped on the floor for the Spirit of the forefathers and One significant thing is that, it is never removed from the ground but you can never meet it the next day. So it is believed that spirit of the dead that means well for the Palace eat Kola nuts.
Kola nuts was also used in the palace as a form of OATH for an agreement between two parties in the Presence of the Oba.
In those days, Kola nut is only shared to adult who have come of age and can be held responsible for contrary action to the reasons for which the kola nut was broken and shared.
Another Reason for the saying ” Kola nut last long in the mouth of those who knows the value” is that when the Kola is shared for an Oath, you are expected to eat it in bits while the great Oba or Palace Priest makes proclamations and incarnations.
So for ages, Presentation of Kola nut to the palace when visiting has been a tradition that only the true sons of the soil understands. Even strangers coming to see the Oba or Palace Chiefs must be advise to come with Kola nut.
The first contact with the Oba before he starts talking is the presentation of Kola nuts. We hold our tradition dear to ourselves because the same tradition has kept us in this progressive way for centuries.
In those days, if you come to the Palace without Kola nut, you will not be allowed to see the Oba and you will be sent out of the Palace with canes and beating by the Palace Servants . If this action is repeated by same person or kindred, the palace will declared such person or Community, the ENEMY of the Palace.
It is of great importance to note that the presentation of Kola nuts stands for the word ” I COME IN PEACE” in this modern day.
May God not allow Us become the enemy of the Palace whether knowingly or unknowingly!!!
Obakhator Kpee!!!
Iseee!
Press release

The Gambia Press Union (GPU) is pleased to announce that the Government has agreed to exempt media workers from the curfew orders.
Media practitioners MUST carry a valid press card either from the GPU or a bonafide news and information media outlet. Media houses are encouraged to put up stickers on the vehicles for identification purposes.
We urge journalists to wear face masks and any other safety kit, as well as press jackets. Media workers are also advised to follow all the health regulations by the government and the WHO for their own safety and those of others at all times.
Media exemptions from curfew orders are in line with standards of best practice. This is in view of the peculiar nature of the work of media workers who are required to stay up late to provide information, education and entertainment services to the public.
Moreover, the media serves as the eyes and ears of the public with respect to the enforcement of the curfew orders.
It must be noted that this is a temporary measure while the Union works with the state authorities in the coming days to workout the specific details of the media exemption.
This message is approved by the Government spokesperson, in consultation with the Director of Health Services and Inspector General of Police.
The GPU kindly wishes to call on the security operatives to cooperate with this arrangement.
Source___Standard Newspaper